Search This Blog

Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Broccoli, Cheese and Macaroni Casserole

Natalee loves broccoli and this recipe from Nob Hill/Raley's Something Extra magazine seemed like a winner.  The only complaint I have is that I dirtied 3 pots before I even put it into the 9x13 casserole dish to bake.  Hate that!  So, Kurt and I were discussing how to combine some of the steps because - it was awesome!  We will be making it again-everybody loved it and we've got some for lunch tomorrow.  Natalee said mine looked better than the picture in the magazine!  Bazinga!
Ingredients
2 cups elbow macaroni (I used egg noodles because that's what I had in the pantry.)
1 tbsp. butter
1/2 cup minced onion
3-4 garlic cloves, crushed
about 20 oz. Alfredo sauce
1¾ cups chicken broth (always make my own with water and bouillon as I need it)
2 tsp. dry mustard
2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
1 cup shredded Swiss cheese (this is important - the Swiss adds a zip)
4 cups (1-inch) broccoli florets
1/2 cup cooked, crumbled bacon
1/2 cup croutons, crushed (fabulous addition!)

Directions
Prep: 20 minutes Cook: 35 minutes Serves: 8
1. Preheat oven to 400°F and lightly butter a 2-quart baking dish. Cook macaroni according to package directions; drain well. (Perhaps I could cook the broccoli and the noodles together, since they both require boiling and about the same time...)
2. While macaroni is cooking, melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and cook for 5 minutes to soften. Stir in Alfredo sauce, broth and mustard; simmer over low heat for 10 minutes (I didn't let it simmer that long.) Stir in cheese, a handful at a time, stirring until cheese is melted.
3. Cook broccoli in boiling water for 5 minutes or until crisp-tender. Drain well, then stir into sauce with macaroni and bacon. Spoon into prepared dish and top with croutons. Bake for 15 minutes or until hot and bubbly.

No comments:

Post a Comment